The Fix Base Operator at the Fillmore County Airport is Deters Aviation. Deters Aviation provides; flight training, annual inspections, routine maintenance, major repairs and alterations, fuel, oil, parts, aircraft sales, and commercial pilot services. 24 hour service is available upon request.
Isaac Deters, the owner and operator of Deters Aviation, has been around the aircraft his entire life as both his father and grandfather are pilots and aircraft owners. He became a pilot over a decade ago and since then has earned instrument, commercial pilot, and flight instructor ratings.
To contact Isaac Deters of Deters Aviation, call 507-459-3488
The Auditor/Treasurer's Office is responsible for the processing of property transfers in Fillmore County and obtaining the State Deed Tax. We also accept Electronic Documents and ECRV's.
A copy of a recorded document can be obtained from the Fillmore County Recorder's Office.
- Calculates and collects taxes for school districts, townships, cities, and special taxing districts
- Prepares and mails tax notices
- Collects current and delinquent taxes
- Disburses tax collections to proper taxing districts
- Tax Forfeiture Sale
For more information refer to the Property Tax section.
- Conducts and supervises all county elections
- Maintains and manages voter registration records
- Prepares ballots and provides elections supplies to voting precincts
- Trains election judges
- Birth and death certificates - see more information
- Notary Commission
- To obtain a Notary Commission go to the Minnesota Secretary of State Web site at: https://notary.sos.state.mn.us
- When you receive your commission card you will need to register your commission at the Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's office if this is your resident county.
- Fee: $20.00 check/Money Order/Cash payable to Fillmore County
- NOTE: Failure to register with your resident county may result in a civil penalty fee (usually larger than the county recording fee) imposed by the Commissioner of
the Department of Commerce of Minnesota, who is responsible for the enforcement actions pertaining to a notary's misconduct
- Minnesota Marriage licenses - Statute 517.08
- This is a License to be married within the geographical boundaries of the State of Minnesota.
- License is valid for 6 months. (Non-refundable)
- Photo identification required
- Both parties requested to be present at the time of application or 1 may apply and a supplemental form sent to the party not present.
- Certified dissolution documents if either party has been divorced
- Fees: check/money order/cash payable to Fillmore County $115.00 or $40.00 if documentation provided by educator that the parties have received at least 12 hours of
premarital education per MN Statute 517.18.
- Prohibited Marriages MN Statute 517.03
- Note: There is a 5 day waiting period from the date of application. For concerns or to discuss how to obtain a 5 day waiver, contact the Auditor/Treasurer's office at 507-765-3811
- Marriage Certificates
Application - click here
Fee – check or money order or cash (if in person) payable to Fillmore County. $9.00 per certificate
Application and fee may be mailed to:
Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer
PO Box 466
Preston, MN 55965
Note: Marriage Licenses may be purchased in any county to get married within the state. Where ever the license was purchased is where the certificate resides and a copy must be obtained from.
- In addition, the Auditor/Treasurer's office issues licenses and permits for the following:
For application requirements and fee inquiries, contact the Auditor/Treasurer's office at 507-765-3811.
This guide is provided as a resource guide for those who reside in Fillmore County. The challenges of life can be rewarding, demanding, confusing, and sometimes stressful. It is hoped that this publication and the many resources listed within will be a help in addressing life's day to day challenges.
Please note that this guide also includes resources and agencies that address issues associated with children and adults who may have special needs in any of all areas of life.
Regulations and rules for the use of and conduct in the parks of the County - Bucksnort and Masonic Parks.
Click the links below view and print Business Subsidy Policy & Application.
Business Subsidy Application (Applies to all Programs)
Tax Abatement Program
The Fillmore County EDA adopted a tax abatement policy to be used as a tool for economic development throughout the county. Tax abatement is when a taxing board (county, city, and school) grants a taxpayer a stay of paying a tax for a short or long term, for a total or percentage of the tax. Tax Abatement Assistance will only be used when the abatement of taxes would be in the demonstrated interest of the tax-paying public.
Tax Increment Financing Programs
Tax Increment Financing (TIF) is a redevelopment tool authorized by State statute and used by cities and development authorities, such as the Fillmore County EDA, to finance certain public redevelopment costs. Projects financed with TIF must serve a public purpose such as redeveloping blighted areas, constructing low- and moderate-income housing, providing employment opportunities, and improving the tax base.
Local, regional, state and federal agencies have several different loan/grant programs to assist different types of business throughout the county. For a list of available programs please contact the economic development coordinator for Fillmore County.
Fillmore County Loan Programs
Revolving Loan Fund (RLF)
Broadband Development Fund
Fillmore County Documents
- Housing Study
- Business Subsidy Application
- Business Subsidy Policy (amended)
- Comprehensive Land Use Plan
Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI) www.auri.org
CEDA (Community and Economic Development Associates) www.cedausa.com
Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development https://mn.gov/deed/
Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation www.smifoundation.org
Small Business Administration www.sba.gov
Small Business Development Center (Southeast Minnesota Region) http://www.rctc.edu/workforce/smallbusiness/
The Fillmore County EDA can help you obtain information on regulations, market conditions, technologies and more.
We can review you current business situation and make recommendations for the future.
For planning growth, marketing, etc., a strong business plan can make identifying those steps much easier.
Financial Analysis and Loan Packaging
If additional financing is one of you growth needs, we can help you analyze your businesses' financial situation, identify sources of financing, organize the necessary documentation, and assist you in preparing a loan application.
We offer strategic market analysis to help you clearly understand the characteristics of your customers and develop a solid marketing plan.
Site Location Assistance
We can help you navigate through potential sites for your new development. Choosing a site to meet all your business location needs will be challenging, will help your work with other city economic developers to match your business with the right location.
Fillmore County and the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Office work closely together to provide a variety of services. The objective of the GIS office is to develop, implement, and maintain a GIS database for the county departments, local government agencies, private companies, and the general public. The County GIS Coordinator is responsible for obtaining the necessary data for the county, performing quality control of the data, GIS layer development, and for the maintenance of the overall GIS system. The resulting GIS will have an effective land records management system that facilitates information gathering and provides accurate and timely information to the county departments and public.
The current GIS websites are NOT compatible with IE8. Please update your version of Internet Explorer or use Firefox to view the maps.
Fillmore County Recorder’s Office maintains a permanent record of Real Estate transactions.
All documents, such as deeds, mortgages, releases, contract for deeds, mechanic liens, state and federal tax liens, and Subdivision Plats of land are recorded in this office.
The County Recorder is a satellite office of the Minnesota Secretary of State for filing UCC statements and any related filing, including lien searches in the state system.
- Lien searches
- Full abstracting which includes creating new abstracts and updating existing abstracts.
- Tract searches and current owner searches
- 40 year searches
- Name searches
- Permit to Purchase applications can be dropped off in person or mailed to: Fillmore County Sheriff's Office; 901 Houston St. NW; Preston, MN 55965
- Permit to Carry applications can be dropped off in person at the Sheriff's Office Monday - Friday, 8:00 am-4:30 pm
- Permit to Carry fees
- $100 for new
- $50 for active or retired military members
- $50 for active first responders
- $75 for renewal if before expiration date
- $85 for renewal within 30 days of expiration
The purpose of licensing is to protect the health, safety, and well being of children. The State of Minnesota has rules for those who care for children. Information and forms are provided to assist you in your application for Child Care Licensing in Fillmore County.
A Guide to Becoming a Licensed Family Child Care Provider, is a plain-language handbook from the Department of Human Services and can be accessed by clicking here.
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Cash management and investment of county funds
- Debt Management
- Monitors and manages all county bank accounts and reconciliation of accounts
- Provides financial guidance for the County Board of Commissioners and all County Departments
- Prepares the County's annual financial statements
- Provides financial information to the State and Federal Government
Please complete the ACH Authorization Form and return to the Finance Department by mail, email or fax to begin receiving your payments by ACH. Upon receipt of the form, a prenote (a zero payment file) will be sent to the bank to verify the routing and account number. You will receive a detailed description of the payment via email on the transfer date.
If you have any questions, please contact the Finance Department at 507-765-2814.