Search FAQs


Fillmore County

Where can I get an application for employment with Fillmore County?
Fillmore County has a fillable employment application that you can download, complete, sign and return. You can also call 507-765-4566 for an application to be mailed to you or visit the Administrator's Office in the lower level of the courthouse between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, to complete an application in person. Applications are accepted for posted open positions ONLY.  Fillable Employment Application.
Where can I find a list of available positions for employment at Fillmore County?
All vacant positions are posted outside the Administration Office in the lower level of the courthouse. Visit the Employment page for a list of current openings. Fillmore County also posts position openings on our Facebook page.
How do I know my job application is being processed and when will I be notified about the position?
After the application deadline, applications are screened and interviews scheduled. Applicants chosen for an interview will be notified by the hiring committee. Depending on the position, applicants may also be asked for further background information. Hiring decisions are made by the Fillmore County Board of Commissioners. Human Resources staff contacts the selected applicant and completes the hiring process. Applicants not interviewed or chosen for hire are notified by Human Resources  when the position is filled.
Who do I contact to use one of the County parks?

To use either the Masonic Park or Bucksnort Park, please contact the Fillmore County Sheriff's Office at 507-765-3874.

Fillmore County Park Ordinance

How do I volunteer to be on a Committee?

Fillmore County always welcomes interested citizens to volunteer for participation on committees and boards that advise the County Board. There are many ways that citizens can volunteer to serve:

1) Call the County Commissioner who represents their district,

2) Call the Administrator's Office at 507-765-4566,

3) Email the Administrator's Office stating their committee or field of interest, or

4) Talk to a staff person or current member of the committee expressing interest.

The County Board approves new members to committees and/or advisory boards.

How do I find the list of Committees?
Click on this list of the current committees and members.
How do I contact Township & City Officials?
How do I contact the Court Administration Office?
Court Administration Office can be reached by calling 507-765-6021
Who do I call for driver's license renewals, written/road tests or to renew my license tabs?
The Auto License Bureau is located at 201 Fillmore St, Preston, MN. Please call: 507-765-2281 or click here to see their website. 
Road tests are done by appointment only. To schedule a road test, please call 507-765-2935.


How do I apply for a public defender?
Public defender assignments are made by District Court.  Please contact 507-765-6021 for more information.
How do I file a conciliation court claim?
Court conciliation claims are handled by District Court.  Please contact 507-765-6021 for more information.
How can I receive child support services from Fillmore County?
If you receive public assistance, you automatically receive these services.  If you do not receive public assistance, you can apply at the Fillmore County Child Support Division.


Where can I obtain a passport?
The Passport applications are done in the Auditor/Treasurer office at the Vital Statistics Desk.
Where do I go to get a copy of Birth, Death and Marriage certificates?
Birth, Death, and Marriage certificates can be obtained in the Recorder’s office at the Vital Statistics Desk.
Where can I file for Homestead Market Value Exclusion?
Visit the Assessor's Resources page for more information.
Where do I file my Notary commission?
Notary commissions are filed in the Auditor/Treasurer's office at the Vital Statistics desk.
Where do I find Property Tax information?
One of the responsibilities of the Auditor/Treasurer's Department is property tax collection. Visit the Auditor/Treasurer's page for more information.

Public Health

How do I access home health services?
Call Fillmore County Public Health at 507-765-3898 and a nurse will discuss service options with you.
How do I enroll my family in the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program?
To learn more about or enroll in WIC, call Fillmore County Public Health at 507-765-3898.
How do I obtain a radon kit?
No-cost radon kits are available at Fillmore County Public Health during regular business hours. Kits can also be obtained via standard mail by sending a completed radon test request form via fax, email, or mail to Fillmore County Public Health.  Radon forms can be found in the Public Health Forms section of the Public Health website.
How do I report a public health nuisance?
Nuisances can be reported by calling Fillmore County Public Health at 507-765-3898.  It is helpful to provide details and picture documentation about a nuisances along with a way to reach you for further assistance.

Child Support

How do I change my child support order if my case is not through the county?
If you do not have an open child support case through a county office, you can use the court forms and procedures that are published to file the motion yourself in District Court. The forms can be found at the MN courts website.
How do I change my child support order that is managed through the county?

If your child support case is managed through a child support office, you can request a review and modification of the order by phone or in writing. You will be asked to provide financial information.

If your modification request is denied, you may file your own motion in the Expedited Process. The court forms and procedures are published through the MN courts website. You may also contact a private attorney.

How do I get my passport hold released?
Contact the Minnesota Child Support Enforcement Division at 651-431-4400 to find out what must be done to release the hold.
How do I establish/change custody/parenting time?
You may consult a private attorney for legal advice.
*This child support office does not have authority in this area*
I lost my PIN to access my case online and through the payment line. How do I get a new PIN?
You can contact the child support office servicing your case, and they can mail you a new PIN.

Financial Assistance

How do I apply for Energy (fuel) Assistance?
The Energy Assistance Program for Fillmore County is managed through SEMCAC. For more information, please contact them at 800-944-3281 or by fax at 507-864-2597
How do I apply for help through one of the medical programs?
A Health Care Application (HCAPP) is required. Complete the application; attach the requested verification (located in section A of the application). Return this to Fillmore County Community Services. 
How do I get a new EBT card?
You can request an EBT card by calling EBT Customer Service at 888-997-2227.


How can I obtain proof of military service?
Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, is used to apply for proof of military service regardless of whether you served on regular active duty or in the selected reserves. This request form is NOT processed by VA. Rather, Standard Form 180 is completed and mailed to the appropriate custodian of military service records. Instructions are provided on the reverse of the form to assist in determining the correct forwarding address.
How do I apply for a VA guaranteed loan?
You can apply for a VA loan with any mortgage lender that participates in the VA home loan program. At some point, you will need to get a Certificate of Eligibility from VA to prove to the lender that you are eligible for a VA loan. 
How do I get a Certificate of Eligibility?
Complete an 1880: You can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility by submitting a completed VA Form 26-1880, Request For A Certificate of Eligibility For Home Loan Benefits, to the Winston-Salem Eligibility Center, along with proof of military service. In some cases it may be possible for VA to establish eligibility without your proof of service. However, to avoid any possible delays, it's best to provide such evidence. 


How do I contact the Auto License Bureau?
The Auto License Bureau is a private business that is located in the Rustad Building at 201 Fillmore West, Preston and can be reached at 507-765-2281.
How is the County budget and levy set for each year?
The budget process begins in June of each year with budgets being prepared by each department.  Proposed budgets are presented and reviewed at public County Board meetings.  The County Board approves the preliminary budget and levy in September.  The final budget and levy is approved in December and the levy can be no higher than the levy that was set in September.
How do I contact the Fillmore County Fair Board?

The Fillmore County Fair Board is a separate elected Board.  The 2020 contact information is as follows:  Aaren Mathison at 507-937-3266. For information regarding camping or rentals contact Greg Hoff at 507-765-2370.

WEBSITE:  https://www.fillmorecountyfair.com/

Aaren Mathison - President

Dennis DeVries - Vice President

Kathy Tesmer - Secretary

Doug Lind - Treasurer

How do I get on the agenda for Citizen's Input?
Members of the public can participate in Citizen’s Input at each County Board meeting at 9:30 a.m.  Members of the public can contact the Administrator's Office in advance or be present when the Chair asks for Citizen Input to present concerns, but no action will be taken by the Board.  The County Board Chair sets the agenda with support from the Administrator's Office. 
When does the County Board meet?
The County Board meets at 9:00 a.m. on the first, second and fourth Tuesdays of each months. They meet in the Board room in the lower level of the courthouse.
How do I get or replace a Social Security card?

Contact Social Security By Phone

You can call toll-free at 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778).


Where can I find the cost for a service?
Fillmore County always welcomes interested citizens to volunteer for participation on committees and boards that advise the County Board. There are many ways that citizens can volunteer to serve:

1) Call the County Commissioner who represents their district,

2) Call the Administrator's Office at 507-765-4566,

3) Email the Administrator's Office stating their committee or field of interest, or

4) Talk to a staff person or current member of the committee expressing interest.

The County Board approves new members to committees and/or advisory boards.

MN State Veteran Cemetery - Preston

Contact information for the MN State Veteran Cemetery in Preston - located at 715 Highway 52, Preston, MN 55965.

Phone:  507-765-7320

Fax: 507-765-3793

Email: Info.CemPR@state.mn.us

Hours:  The cemetery office is open from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday (closed on State Holidays).  Visitors may visit the cemetery grounds during daylight hours, seven days per week.

Court Administrator

I need a copy of personal judgment or divorce decree. Whom do I contact?
  • You may contact the Court Administrators office at 507-765-6021 for copies of personal judgments and divorce
  • Divorce decrees involving Real Estate may also be recorded in the Recorder’s office.


How do I sign up for a GIS subscription?
Subscription access requires a setup fee along with an annual fee. Fill out the application form to subscribe to the subscription GIS website.
How do I change or reset my GIS password?
Please call: 507-765-2806


Am I allowed to search the public records myself in the Recorder's Office?
  • Most of the records at the Recorder’s Office are open to the public.
  • The Recorder's office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday thru Friday.


How do I find out if I need a new septic?
Please contact your local septic person, provided he or she has the correct licensing, they will be able to determine the condition of your system.


How do I know if I have to fix my feedlot?
The County Feedlot Officer will conduct a site visit to determine if you are in compliance or not. You may call the Feedlot Office to set up a site visit also.  Ph: 507-765-2539

Community Services

What community resources are available in Fillmore County?

This guide is provided as a resource guide for those who reside in Fillmore County. The challenges of life can be rewarding, demanding, confusing, and sometimes stressful. It is hoped that this publication and the many resources listed within will be a help in addressing life's day to day challenges.

Please note that this guide also includes resources and agencies that address issues associated with children and adults who may have special needs in any of all areas of life.

Community Resource Guide

Highway Department

How do I obtain a moving permit?

To apply for a county moving permit, see Moving Permit.  

State permit information can be found at the MnDOT website.

How do I obtain a county map?
We redid our county map in 2015.  Cost of a map is $3.00.  Please stop by our office to obtain a map.  Or, you can view our county map.
How do I contact a township official regarding township road questions?
Visit the Commissioners Local officials page for contact information.
How do I apply for an access permit?
See Zoning departments forms webpage
My road is dusty. How do I obtain dust control?
The County does not offer dust control to residents on the gravel roads.  There are limited companies in the area that offer dust control products.  Some possibilities to try are Chuck Larson Dust Control at 507-273-1004, Chuck's Grain & Feed at 507-875-2247 or Freeborn County Co-Op at 507-373-3991.
leaf leaf