How to Obtain a Birth or Death Certificate
A birth or death certificate may be obtained by mail or in person from the Fillmore County Recorders Office only if you have a tangible interest in the certificate.
Apply in Person
If you request a certified birth or death certificate in person, you will be asked to complete and sign an application stating that you have a tangible interest in the certificate. You will also be asked to show identification. If you do not have identification, according to Minnesota Rules, part 4601.2600, subpart 6, you may have a witness attest to your identity. For questions or for more information, please contact the Fillmore County Recorders Office by phone at 507-765-3852 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply by Mail
Print and complete the appropriate Application Form. The application form must be signed and dated in front of a notary public. Further instructions and information are available on the Minnesota Department of Health website. For questions or for more information, please contact the Fillmore County Recorders Office by phone at 507-765-3852 or email email@example.com.
BIRTH CERTIFICATE FORMS
- Certified Birth Certificate Application
- Non-Certified Birth Certificate Application
- Amendment to Birth Certificate Application
- Homeless Youth Birth Certificate Application
DEATH CERTIFICATE FORMS
- Certified Death Certificate Application
- Non-Certified Death Certificate Application
- Amendment to Death Certificate Application
- Birth certificates are $26, and additional are $19 each.
- Death certificates are $13, and additional are $6 each.
Fillmore County Recorders
101 Fillmore St.
Preston, MN 55965