Fillmore County Burial Fact Sheet
When a person dies without a means to provide for his/her burial and the next of kin have no ability to pay for the burial, an indigent burial may be provided by Fillmore County.
Eligibility and approval for a County burial must be preauthorized
- An application for County Burial must be completed
- Applications are available by clicking HERE or by contacting the Fillmore County Social Services Office at 507-765-2175
- Applications can also be obtained through the funeral director
- All resources of the deceased will be reviewed and applied toward the cost of a county burial - this includes resources owned jointly or available through inheritance by a responsible relative
If Fillmore County assumes financial responsibility for final disposition, there cannot be any enhancements. If the family and/or friends of the deceased choose to enhance the funeral or make substitutions such as a casket of their choice, they will be obligated to pay for the entire cost.
- Fillmore County provides for direct cremation or immediate burial if cremation is contrary to the beliefs or expressed wishes of the deceased
- Fillmore County will not pay for accessory services or items such as flowers, honorariums, music, processions, cloths, printed materials, food or other such items
- Fillmore County does not pay for cemetery markers/headstones
- Fillmore County does not pay for decorative cremation containers/urns
Fillmore County Social Services Office
902 Houston St. NW, Suite 1
Preston, MN 55965