Child Support


ChildSupport1_thumbEvery child needs financial and emotional support from both parents. Child support includes basic support, medical support, and child care support. A court order can require one or both parents to provide child support for his or her child. The State of Minnesota and Fillmore County child support offices work with both parents to help children receive the support they deserve.

Child Support Services

  • Establish parentage
  • Establish and enforce court orders
  • Reviewing/modifying support orders
  • Work with other states to enforce child support when a parent lives outside of Minnesota
  • Collect and process payments for support

Service Costs
Parents may pay fees for these services. A $35 federal annual fee is charged if your children have never received cash assistance while living in your household and you receive at least $550 in child support during the year. The parent who applied for services pays a cost recovery fee equal to 2% of the amount of support collected. 

Services not provided by the child support agency:

  • Divorces
  • Visitation and custody
  • Spousal maintenance (alimony) establishment
  • Legal advice or counsel

Contact Information
Fillmore County Community Services
Child Support Unit
902 Houston St NW Suite 1
Preston MN 55965

Phone: 507-765-2175
Fax: 507-765-3895

leaf leaf