United States Passport
A passport is a document, issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A passport has two forms:

  • Passport Book - can be used for air, land and sea travel.
  • Passport Card - can be used to travel to and return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossing or sea ports-of-entry. It cannot be used for any air travel.

To obtain a passport, you (including minors) must apply in person at an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility.  Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office is an Acceptance Facility. Additional information is also available at travel.state.gov.

How to Apply for a New Passport Book or Card

Complete the application for a U.S. passport in black ink. Please DO NOT sign the application until an Acceptance Agent asks you to do so. Applications are also available at the Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's office.

Submit proof of U.S. citizenship (one of the following): NO COPIES

  • Certified birth certificate (within the U.S. - must be issued by the County or State of birth - hospital issued certificates of birth WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport


  • Valid Minnesota Driver's License (If you have a driver's license from a state other than MN, please bring a second form of photo ID) 
  • Clipped Minnesota Driver's License with yellow renewal receipt
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
  • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
  • Current Military ID (military and dependents) Out-of-state Driver or ID requires Secondary Identification.


  • Provide one recent (within 6 months) passport photo that meets quality requirements.  Photo services are available at Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office for an additional fee of $15
  • Bring completed DS-11 application and required payment to apply. Applications must be completed in BLACK ink; DO NOT sign the application until you are asked to do so by an Acceptance Agent.
  • For passports for children under the age of 16 , please go to the U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs for more information.

You may  contact the Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office to obtain this information or visit travel.state.gov to determine the appropriate federal fees. You will need to submit a check or a money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for these fees (at this time, cash, debit or credit cards are not accepted). 

There will be fees incurred for Execution Fee, passport photo and other related fees. You may pay with cash, check or money order made payable to Fillmore County. Fillmore County also accepts credit card. Please note that there is a 3% finance charge by the credit card entity to process these transactions which is collected with payment. For charges $33.00 or less there is a $1.00 fee - $34.00 and above, 3% is applied. 

leaf leaf