Update: Real ID Update

Important Announcement and press release from the Department of Homeland Security:

January 8th, 2016 DHS Press Release

United States Passport

A passport is a document, issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A passport has two forms:

· Passport Book - can be used for air, land and sea travel.

· Passport Card - can be used to travel to and return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossing or sea ports-of-entry. It cannot be used for any air travel.

To get a passport, you (including minors) must apply in person at an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility.  Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office is an Acceptance Facility.

Additional information is also available at

How to apply for a new passport book or card


· Complete the application for a U.S. passport in black ink. Do NOT sign it until an Acceptance Agent asks you to do so. Applications are also available at the Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's office.


· Submit proof of U.S. citizenship (one of the following): NO COPIES

· Certified birth certificate (within the U.S.: issued by the County or State of birth *not Hospital issued*)

· Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

· Naturalization Certificate

· Certificate of Citizenship

· Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport


· Present current primary identification:

· Valid Minnesota Driver's License (If you have a driver's license from a state other than MN, please bring a second form of photo ID)

· Clipped Minnesota Driver's License with yellow renewal receipt

· Naturalization Certificate

· Current Government ID (city, state or federal)

· Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport

· Current Military ID (military and dependents) Out-of-state Driver or ID requires Secondary Identification.


· Provide one recent (within 6 months) passport photo that meets quality requirements.  Photo services are available at Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office for an additional fee of $15

· Bring completed DS-11 application and required payment to apply *Please complete the application in BLACK ink. Do NOT sign the application until you are asked to do
so by an Acceptance Agent.

· If application is for a child see How do I get a passport for my child (under 16)?


· US Department of State : You may also contact the Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office to obtain this information, or you may determine the appropriate federal fees on the You will need to submit a check or a money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for these fees. (Debit and credit cards are not accepted nor is cash at this time.)

· Acceptance Facility : You may also contact the Fillmore County Auditor/Treasurer's Office to obtain this information. This will be for the Execution Fee, photo fees and other related fees. You may submit cash, check, money order payable to Fillmore County. We also now accept credit card payments *Please note there is a 3% finance charge by the credit card entity to process these transactions and is collected with your payment. (For charges $33.00 or less there is a $1.00 fee - $34.00 and above, 3% is applied)*